Pulsed Eddy current (PEC) is an emerging nondestructive evaluation (NDT) technique excited with a broadband pulse that consists of rich frequency information. This technique generally uses the response peak value and peak arrival time to detect and quantify defects, which is not sufficient to achieve enough information associated with flaw quantification. This article introduces the application of empirical mode decomposition and Hilbert transform in extracting a new frequency domain feature from PEC responses. Time and frequency features are combined to enhance the accuracy of defect classification. The validation and robustness of the new feature and the improved classification by experimental studies are presented.
1. Y. Bar-Cohen. Mater. Eval. 58:17–30 (2000).
2. Y. He, F. Luo, M. Pan, X. Hu, J. Gao, and B. Liu. Sensors and Actuators A: Physical 157:26–31 (2010).
3. J. Bowler. Electromagnet Nondestruct. Eval. 9:263–269 (1997).
4. R. A. Smith and G. R. Hugo. Insight 43:14–25 (2001).
5. T. Clauzon, F. Thollon, and A. Nicolas. IEEE Trans. Magnet. 35:1873–1876 (1999).
6. A. Sophian, G. Y. Tian, and D. Taylor. Insight 43:302–306 (2001).
7. J. Kim, G. Yang, L. Udpa, and S. Udpa. NDT&E International 43:141–144 (2010).
8. I. Zainal Abidin, C. Mandache, G. Yun Tian, and M.Morozov.NDT&E International 42:599–605 (2009).
9. G. Y. Tian and A. Sophian. NDT&E International 38:77–82 (2005).
10. A. Sophian, G. Y. Tian, D. Taylor, and J. Rudlin. NDT&E International 36:37–41 (2003).
11. G. Y. Tian and A. Sophian. NDT&E International 38:319–324 (2005).
12. G. Y. Tian, A. Sophian, D. Taylor, and J. Rudlin. IET Science, Measurement, and Technology 152:141–148 (2005).
13. J. R. Bowler and D. J. Harrison. Rev. Prog. Quant. Nondestruct. Eval. 11:241–248 (1992).
14. P. Flandrin, G. Rilling, and P. Gonc¸alve´s. IEEE Signal Processing Letters 11:112–114 (2004).
15. N. E. Huang, Z. Shen, S. R. Long, M. C. Wu, H. H. Shih, Q. Zheng, N.-C. Yen, C. C. Tung, and H. H. Liu. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series A-Mathematical Physical and Engineering Sciences 454:903–995 (1998).
16. T. L. Chen, P. W. Que, Q. Zhang, and Q.-K. Liu. Review of Scientific Instruments 76:314–318 (2005).
17 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares