The investigation here described is aimed at evaluating the actual capability of a Real Aperture Radar (RAR) interferometer to detect the natural vibration of urban buildings solely solicited by wind or environmental noise. The paper shortly reviews some of the most relevant non-contacting measurement techniques that can be employed for ambient vibration testing. Then it introduces the proposed RAR measurement technique. Some experimental results taken from a wide set of observations, carried out through a microwave sensor presently available on the market, are discussed. The main factors affecting the measurability of the vibration amplitude and frequency are singled out. The technique is proved to perform high sensitivity displacement measurements, down to a few microns.
1. C. Farrar and K. Worden. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. 365:303–315 (2007).
2. G. Hearn and R. B. Testa. Journal of Structural Engineering 117:3042–3063 (1991).
3. S. W. Doebling, C. R. Farrar, M. B. Prime, and D. W. Shevitz. Los Alamos National Laboratory Report LA-13070-MS (1996). Available at http://lib-www.lanl.gov.
4. J. M. W. Brown. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A 365:589–622 (2007).
5. M. Pieraccini, M. Fratini, F. Parrini, C. Atzeni, and G. Bartoli. NDT&E Int. 41:258–264 (2008).
6. E. P. Tomasini (ed.). Optics and Lasers in Engineering 38(3–4) (2002).
7. C. Farrar, T. W. Darling, A. Migliorini, and W. E. Baker. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 13:241–253 (1999).
8. D. Tarchi, E. Ohlmer, and A. Sieber. Res. Nondestruct. Eval. 9:213–225 (1997).
9. M. Pieraccini, G. Luzi, D. Mecatti, L. Noferini, and C. Atzeni. IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Technique 51:1603–1609 (2003).
10. D. Beben. NDT&E Int. 44:405–412 (2011).
11. G. Bartoli, L. Facchini, M. Pieraccini, M. Fratini, C. Atzeni Experimental utilization of interferometric radar techniques for structural monitoring. Struct. Control Health Monit., vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 283–298, Apr. 2008.
12. P. Avitabile, C. Niezrecki, M. Helfrick, C. Warren, P. Pingle University of Massachusetts Lowell, Lowell, Massachusetts.
13. H. Nassif, M. Gindy, and J. Davis NDT&Int., vol. 38, pp. 213–218, no. 3, Apr. 2005.
14. P. Gueguen, V. Jolivet, M. Clotaire, A.S. Schveitzer. Bull. Earthquake Eng. (2010) DOI 10.1007/s10518–009-09137–2.
15. E. Esposito, S. Copparoni, and B. Naticchia Recent progress in diagnostics of civil structures by laser vibrometry. Proc. of 16th World Conference on Nondestructive Testing, on CD, Montreal, Canada, August 30 – September 3, 2004.
16. C. O. Yigit, L. Xiaojing, Inal C., Linlin G. and M. t Yetkin. Preliminary evaluation of precise inclination sensor and GPS for monitoring full-scale dynamic response of a tall reinforced concrete building. Journal of Applied Geodesy 4 (2010), 1–11. DOI 10.1515=JAG.2010.010
17. C. Atzeni, A. Bicci, D. Dei, M. Fratini and M.Pieraccini. Remote Survey of the Leaning tower of Pisa by interferometric Sensing. IEEE Trans. Geosci. and Remote Sensing Letters, 7(1), January, 2010.
18. M. Pieraccini, M. Fratini, F. Parrini, and C. Atzeni Dynamic monitoring of bridges using a high-speed coherent radar. IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens, 40(11): 3284–3288, Nov. 2006.
19. M. Crosetto, E. Biescas, J. Duro, J. Closa, A. Arnaud Quality assessment of advanced interferometric products based on time series of ERS and Envisat SAR data. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, 74(4): 443–450 (2008).
20. F. Ulaby T., Moore R. K., and Fung A.K. Microwave Remote Sensing: Active and Passive, Vol. II - Radar Remote Sensing and Surface Scattering and Emission Theory, Addison-Wesley, Advanced Book Program, Reading, Massachusetts, 1982.
21. F. Coppi, C. Gentile and Ricci P. A software tool for processing the displacement time series extracted from raw radar data. Proceedings of the 9th Int. Conference on Vibration Measuerements by Laser and non-contact Techniques and short Course, Ancona, Italy; 22–25 June 2010. AIP Conference Proceedings 1253, ed. E.P. Tomasini.
22. P. D. Welch The use of fast Fourier transform for the estimation of power spectra: A method based on time averaging over short, modified periodograms. IEEE Trans. Audio Electroacoust, AU-15(2): 70–73, Jun. (1967).
23. C. Negulescu, M. Crosetto, G. Luzi, D. Raucoules, D. Lequin, D. Monfort, t. Dewez, A. Roulle´ B. Colas L. Pujades, Evaluation des caracte´ristiques modales d’un baˆtiment par des mesures radar et de bruit de fond sismique ; 8th Colloque National AFPS 2011 – Ecole des Ponts ParisTech, Marne-la-Valle´e 6–8 September 2011 - http://www.afps-seisme.org/colloque2011 (in France).
24. C. Gentile, A. Saisi, Dynamic measurement on historic masonry towers by microwave remote sensing, Proceeding of the Int. Conf. on Experimental vibration analysis for civil engineering structures, Vol. II, pp. 524–530, editors: C Gentile and F. Benedettini, 3–5 October 2011 Varenna, Italy. ISBN978-88-96225-39-4.
2 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares