Suspension bridge cable is a very important component of the different bridge structure's types. Bridge strength and durability depend on cable condition dramatically. The MFL, EM and UT technologies are used for NDT of the cables. The technologies are considered in comparison in application to different cable structures and cable systems.
NDT experience of bridge cable inspection is discussed as like as different examples of the NDT instruments. Real technical condition of cables including their strength and lifetime are evaluated using special software and testing data.
1. DIN 1076. Ingenieurbauwerke im Zuge von Straßen und Wegen - Überwachung und Prüfung.
2. National Bridge Inspection Standards (NBIS). Subpart C. U.S. Department of Transportation, FHWA.
3. Sukhorukov, V. “Steel Wire Rope Inspection: New Instruments,” The 7th ECNDT, Copenhagen, May, 26-29,
4. Intron Plus Ltd. Nondestructive inspection of steel wire ropes. Brochure.
5. US Patent No. US RE 40,166E.
6. Weischedel, Herbert. “The inspection of wire ropes in service: A critical review,” Materials Evaluation, Vol. 43,
No. 13, pp. 1592-1605. 1985.
7. Bergamini, A. and R. Christen. “A simple approach to the localization of ﬂaws in large diameter steel cables,”
Proceedings of Conference on Smart Nondestructive Evaluation and Health Monitoring of Structural and
Biological Systems II, San Diego, CA, 1 August 2003.
8. Kundu, T., ed.; SPIE: Bellingham, WA, 2003; Volume 22, pp. 243-251.
9. ASTM E 1571-11. Standard Practice for Electromagnetic Examination of Ferromagnetic Steel Wire Rope.
10. Ultraschallprüfungen an den Endverbindungsbereichen von Parallellitzenbündeln J. Klein, H. Lobert –
3.Seilforum “Parallellitzenbündel im Brückenbau.” 2008.
11. WINS home page www.wins-ndt.com.
12. Jiang XU, Xinjun WU, Yihua Kang. “An instrument for detecting corrosion in anchorage zones of bridge cables
using guided waves,” The 18th World Conference on Nondestructive Testing, 16-20 April 2012, Durban, South
13. Reiner Saul and Karl Humpf. “Inspection and maintenance of cable-stayed bridges – German experiences”.
First international conference on bridge maintenance, safety, and management. July 14-17, 2002, Barcelona,
14. RAB-Brü90. Guidelines for the design of bridges for ease of access, checking and maintenance.
15. Vorontsov A., V. Volokhovsky and D. Slesarev. “Combined approach to damaged wire ropes life-time
assessment based on NDT results and rope mechanics” – 9th International Conference on Damage Assessment
of Structures (DAMAS 2011) 11–13 July 2011, St Anne's College, University of Oxford (Journal of Physics:
Conference series, Vol. 305, 2011).
16. ASCE Standard 19-96: Structural Applications of Steel Cables for Buildings.