In the aerospace industry, nondestructive evaluation (NDE) techniques are commonly used for structural health monitoring, including finding manufacturing and service-induced discontinuities and defects such as corrosion and cracks. A comprehensive structural analysis process is presented for quantizing and evaluating characteristics of aircraft lap-joint mimics. The process investigated here consists of NDE data acquisition, defect detection and characterization involving material loss estimation, three-dimensional structural model generation, finite-element modeling to simulate fatigue damage and comparison with actual tensile fatigue-induced structural analysis data (mechanical loading). The structural analysis process is examined using five test panels consisting of stacked and riveted aluminum plates, configured as lap-joints, four of them with different corroded patches at different layers of the lap-joints and one painted pristine panel used as a reference. The test panels were subjected to three rounds of incremental and cyclical tensile fatiguing with the final round resulting in complete fatigue failure. Eddy current data was obtained from the test panels prior to each round of mechanical loading. Comparing the simulated fatigue loading and the mechanical loading results for identifying susceptible-to-failure areas on the test panels, this comprehensive structural analysis process found the correct location of failure areas at rates as high as 88.9%.
1. E. Herzberg. Presentation at the Department of Defense Corrosion Conference, Washington, DC (2009).
2. M. Brassard, A. Chahbaz, and A. Pelletier. In 15th World Congress on Nondestructive Testing. Rome, Italy (October 2000).
3. P. J. Shull. Nondestructive Evaluation: Theory Techniques and Applications. Marcel Dekker Incorporated, New York (2002).
4. D. S. Forsyth and B. A. Lepine. AIP Conference Proceedings 615:1787–1791 (2002).
5. N. C. Bellinger, J. P. Komorowski, and T. J. Benak. International Journal of Fatigue 23:349–356 (2001).
6. Z. Liu, D. S. Forsyth, J. P. Komorowski, K. Hanasaki, and T. Kirubarajan. IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas. 56:2435–2451 (2007).
7. Z. Liu, K. Tsukada, and K. Hanasaki. Insight 40:286–289 (1998).
8. X. E. Gros, P. Strachan, and D. W. Lowden. Research in Nondestructive Evaluation 6:227–236 (1995).
9. X. E. Gros, Z. Liu, K. Tsukada, and K. Hanasaki. IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas. 49:1083–1090 (2000).
10. K. Sun, S. S. Udpa, L. Udpa, T. Xue, and W. Lord. In Review of Progress in QNDE. Vol. 15, D.O. Thompson and D. E. Chimenti, eds. Plenum, New York, pp. 813–820 (1996).
11. K. Gupta, R. J. Stanley, M. T. Ghasr, S. Kharkovsky, R. Zoughi, and G. Steffes. In 3rd International Conference on Electromagnetic Near-Field Characterization and Imaging, St. Louis, MO, pp. 407–412 (2007).
12. S. De, K. Gupta, R. J. Stanley, G. Steffes, D. Palmer, and R. Zoughi. In ITSC ‘09. 12th International IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems, St. Louis, MO, pp. 1–6 (2009).
13. T. Doppke and A. Bryant. Proc. of the 2nd Automotive Corrosion Prevention Conference, pp 57–72 (1983).
14. Henkel Surface Technologies, ‘‘TURCO 4215 NC-LT,’’ Techical Process Bulletin, (2009). Available at https://tds.us.henkel.com//NA/UT/HNAUTTDS.nsf/web/51A97021F65F4DE3852571ED005BBF7B/$File/TURCO%204215%20NC-LT-EN.pdf (last accessed March 2, 2012).
15. Z. Liu, K. Tsukada, K. Hanasaki, and M. Kurisu. Research in Nondestructive Evaluation 11:165–177 (1999).
16. E. M. Franklin. Materials Evaluation 40:1008–1010 (1982).
17. D. L. DuQuesnay, P. R. Underhill, and H. J. Britt. International Journal of Fatigue 25:371–377 (2003).
18. S. Agarwal, P. Sriram, P. P. Palit, and O. R. Mitchell. Proc. SPIE, Vol. 4394, pp. 284–295 (2001).
19. ANSYS Inc. ANSYS Structural Analysis Guide (2007).
20. D. Roylance. Massachusetts Institute of Technology: MIT OpenCourseWare. Available at http://ocw.-mit.edu. Last accessed September 17, 2010. License: Creative Commons BY-NC-SA.
21. C. Nyquist and K. Haghighi. Purdue University (2007).
22. S. Faanes. Engineering Fracture Mechanics 25:71–82 (1995).
23. K. Gupta, M. T. Ghasr, S. Kharkivskiy, R. Zoughi, R. J. Stanley, A. Padwal, M. OKeefe, D. Palmer, J. Blackshire, G. Steffes, and N. Wood. AIP Conference Proceedings 894:611–618 (2
13 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares