Magneto-optic=eddy current imaging (MOI) is becoming widely used for aging aircraft
inspection for cracks and corrosion. However, many test parameters affect the accept=reject
decision about a test sample and hence the overall performance of MOI system. The
optimization of the parameters is extremely crucial in enhancing the performance of MOI
system. This article uses the Taguchi method to change parameter values simultaneously to
search for the optimum set of test parameters for maximizing system performance for a
given sample geometry and critical crack. It is also important at the same time the system
performance be unaffected by variations in parameters. Efficiency of Taguchi’s partial factorial
design is obvious. The optimum set of parameters is found by means of analyses of
main effects. Analysis of variance identifies those parameters that need to be controlled
carefully. A response-model approach is utilized as a complement to the Taguchi method.
1. G. L. Fitzpatrick. U.S. Patents 4,625,167, 4,755,752, 5,053,704, and associated foreign patents, and
other patents pending.
2. G. L. Fitzpatrick, D. K. Thome, R. L. Skaugset, E. Y. C. Shih, and W. C. L. Shih. Int. Society for Optical
Eng. - SPIE Proc. 2001:210–222 (1993).
3. G. L. Fitzpatrick, D. K. Thome, R. L. Skaugset, W. C. L. Shih, and E. Y. C. Shih. Canada’s National
NDT Magazine 15(2):13–30 (1994).
4. G. L. Fitzpatrick, D. K. Thome, R. L. Skaugset, W. C. L. Shih, and E. Y. C. Shih. Materials Evaluation
5. G. Fitzpatrick, D. Thome, and R. Skaugset. Advanced Magneto-Optic=Eddy Current Techniques for
Detection of Hidden Corrosion Under Aircraft Skins. Report submitted by Physical Research Inc. to
Naval Surface Warfare Center (1995).
6. Z. Zeng. Applications of POD Studies and Robust Design to Electromagnetic NDE. Ph.D. Dissertation,
Iowa State University (2003).
7. L. Xuan, B. Shanker, L. Udpa, W. Shih, and G. Fitzpatrick. Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive
Evaluation 2000, D. O. Thompson and D. E. Chimenti, Eds, AIP, 20A:385–391 (2001).
8. L. Xuan. Finite Element and Meshless Methods in NDT Applications. Ph.D. Dissertation, Iowa State
9. C. Chen. Finite Element Modeling of MOI for NDE Applications. M.Sc. Thesis, Iowa State University
10. R. K. Roy. A Primer on the Taguchi Method. Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York (1990).
11. K. Dehnad. Quality Control, Robust Design, and the Taguchi Method. Pacific Grove, Calif. (1989).
12. A. C. Shoemaker, K. Tsui, and C. F. Wu. Technometrics 33(4):415–427 (1991).
13. W. J. Welch, T. K. Yu, S. M. Kang, and J. Sacks. Journal of Quality Technology 22:15–22 (1990).
14. V. N. Nair (Eds.). Technometrics 34(2):127–161 (1992).