Proper preventative diagnosis of different art objects, including wooden, bronze and marble
sculptures, frescoes, and paintings (on canvas, wood, metal, and glass), is very important for
conservation purposes. Various advanced ultrasonic imaging methods for analysis and
assessment of art objects can bring about drastic changes in the regular evaluation and
inventory carried out by museums and can bring advanced, powerful, and new techniques
for objective assessment of physical conditions of museum resplendence. Using these methods,
it will be possible to plan ad hoc repair works on art objects, and, as a result, we will
preserve our heritage. The goal of this review is to introduce recent advances in acoustical
imaging and quantitative acoustical imaging for the evaluation of art objects. Physical principles
as well as experimental fundamentals for quantitative characterization of the contrast
response in the acoustic imaging, together with the recent results of technical developments
in this field, are discussed. Based on the most successful research results, examples of
different applications are provided.
1. UNESCO. Our Creative Diversity: Report of the World Commission on Culture and Development.
UNESCO Publishing, Paris (1995).
2. D. Lowenthal. Possessed by the Past: The Heritage Crusade and the Spoils of History. Free Press,
New York (1996).
3. A. Murray. The Nondestructive Testing of Wooden Objects, Master’s thesis, Johns Hopkins University,
Baltimore, MD (1990)
4. S. Amadesi, F. Gori, G. Guattari, and R. Grella. Appl. Opt. 13:2009–2013 (1974).
5. G. Schirripa Spagnolo, D. Ambrosini, and G. Guattari. J. Opt. 28:99–106 (1997).
6. A. C. Lucia, P. M. Zanetta, and M. Facchini. Optics Lasers Eng. 26:221–233 (1997).
7. P. Castellini, N. Paone, and E. P. Tomasini. Optics Lasers Eng. 25:227–246 (1996).
8. M. Navarrete, M. Villagran-Muniz, L. Ponce, and T. Flores. Optics and Lasers in Engineering 40:5–11
9. W. M. D. Wright, D. A. Hutchinson, G. Hayward, and A. Gachagan. Ultrasonics 34:405–409 (1996).
10. A. S. Murfin, R. A. J. Soden, D. Hatrick, and R. J. Dewhurst. Meas. Sci. Technol. 11:1208–1219
11. R. Murayama and K. Mizutani. Ultrasonics 40:491–495 (2002).
12. M. Hirao, H. Ogi, and H. Yasui. NDT&E International 34:179–183 (2001).
13. J. W. Wagner. Proceedings of Ultrasonics International 87, pp. 159–164. Butterworths Scientific,
London, UK (1987).
14. T. H. Gan, D. A. Hutchins, D. R. Billson, and D. W. Schindel. Ultrasonics 39:181–194 (2001).
15. T. Gudra, Z. Kojro, M. Schmachtl, C. Lier, M. Shubert, and W. Grill. Ultrasonic 34:711–719 (1996).
16. C. S. McIntyre, D. A. Hutchins, D. R. Billson, and J. Stor-Pellinen. IEEE Trans. Ultras. Ferr. Freq. Contr.
17. T. J. Robertson, D. A. Hutchins, D. R. Billson, J. H. Rakels, and D. W. Schindel. Ultrasonics 39:
18. E. M. Ballad, S. Y. Vezirov, K. Pfleiderer, I. Y. Solodov, and G. Busse. Ultrasonics 42:1031–1036
19. M. Cinquin, M. Castaings, B. Hosten, P. Brassier, and P. Pe´re`s. NDT&E International 38:37–44 (2005).
20. J. W. Wagner and R. E. Green Jr. In Chap. 3 of Quality and Damage Control in Composite Materials,
A. R. Bunsell (ed.), (1988). Elsevier Applied Science Publishers, London.
21. A. Murray, E. S. Boltz, M. C. Renken, C. M. Fortunko, M. F. Mecklenburg, and R. E. Green Jr. In
Nondestructive Characterization of Materials 6, R. E. Green Jr. (ed.), pp. 103–110 (1994). Plenum
Press, New York.
ACOUSTIC IMAGING TECHNIQUES FOR ART 203
22. A. M. Siddiolo, A. R. Maeva, R. G. Maev. In 28th International Acoustical Imaging Symposium,
San Diego, CA, 20–23 March 2005.
23. A. M. Siddiolo, O. Grube, A. Maeva, L. D’Acquisto, and R. G. Maev. In 8th International Conference
on ‘‘Non-Destructive Investigations and Microanalysis for the Diagnostics and Conservation of the
Cultural and Environmental Heritage, Lecce, Italy, 15–19 May 2005.
24. R. G. Maev, R. E. Green. Jr., and A. M. Siddiolo. In 8th International Conference on non-destructive
Testing and Microanalysis for the Diagnostics and Conservation of the Cultural and Environmental
Heritage, Lecce, Italy, 15–19 May 2005.
25. A. M. Siddiolo and R. G. Maev. In 2005 IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium, Rotterdam, the
Netherlands, 19–21 September 2005.
26. M. C. Bhardwaj. In Encyclopedia of Smart Materials, M. Schwartz (ed.), pp. 690–714 (2002).
John Wiley & Sons, New York.
27. E. S. Furgason, V. L. Newhouse, N. M. Bilgutay, and G. R. Cooper. Ultrasonics 13:11–17 (1975).
28. T. H. Gan, D. A. Hutchins, D. R. Billson, and D. W. Schindel. Ultrasonics 39:181–194 (2001).
29. Cennino d’Andra Cennini. Il libro dell’arte The Craftsman’s Handbook (1437).
30. A. Miura. Hozon Kagaku 15:14–18 (1976).
31. J. F. Asmus and S. T. Pomeroy. In American Institute for Conservation 6th Annual Meeting, pp. 12–40.
AIC, Washington, DC (1978).
32. G. Canella, M. Marabelli, A. Marano, and M. Micheli. In 1st International Conference on Nondestructive
Testing in Conservation of Works of Art, Rome, 1983.
33. G. Chiesura, M. Laurenzi Tabasso, and S. Massa, In 1st International Conference on Nondestructive
Testing in Conservation of Works of Art, Rome, 1983.
34. S. Pilecki and A. Levi, In 1st International Conference on Nondestructive Testing in Conservation of
Works of Art, Rome, 1983.
35. R. Rossi-Manaresi and A. Tucci. In 1st International Conference on Nondestructive Testing in Conservation
of Works of Art, Rome, 1983.
36. M. Berra, L. Binda, G. Baronio, and A. Fatticcioni. In 2d International Conference on Nondestructive
Testing, Micro Analytical Methods, and Environment Evaluation for Study and Conservation of Works
of Art, Rome, 1988.
37. D. P. Jamsen, D. A. Hutchins, and R. P. Young. In Ultrasonic Symposium, Proceedings, 1990.
38. T. Hauser, H.-J. Montag, R. Boehm, and U. Voelz. In Jahrestagung 1998, pp. 561–569 (1998).
Bamberg, Berlin, Germany.
39. M. Marchisio, L. D’Onofrio, A. De Falco, L. Frediani, and F. Guidoni. In International Symposium,
Nondestructive Testing in Civil Engineering, 2003.
40. M. Marchisio, L. D’Onofrio, A. De Falco, V. Baroncini, and D. Moranti. In Proceedings of the 8 Meeting
EEGS-ES, Aveiro, 2002.
41. A. Briggs. Rep. Prog. Phys. 55:851–909 (1992).
42. R. G. Maev. Acoustic Microscopy. Nauka, Mopskow, 2005.
43. K. Hasegawa, C. H. Turner, R. R. Recker, E. Wu, and D. B. Burr. Bone 16(1):85–90 (1995).
44. A. Kinoshita, S. Senda, K. Mizushige, H. Masugata, S. E. Sakamoto, H. I. Kiyomoto, and H. I. Matsuo.
Ultrasound Med. Biol. 24(9):1397–1405 (1998).
45. R. G. Maev, L. A. Denisova, E. Y. Maeva, and A. Denisov. Ultrasound Med. Biol. 28(1):131–136
46. J. Yang. Microelectron. Reliab. 36(9):1291–1295 (1996).
47. R. M. Cramer, V. Biletzki, P. Lepidis, and L. J. Balk. Microelectron. Reliab. 39:947–950 (1999).
48. E. Drescher-Krasicka and C. P. Ostertag. J. Mat. Sci. 34:4173–4179 (1999).