Nondestructive Evaluation of Far-Side Corrosion Around a Rivet in a Multilayer Structure
Publication: Publication Date: 1 February 2018
This paper presents a sensor system for inspection of far-side defects around rivets in a multilayer structure. The sensor system includes 64 InSb Hall sensors arrayed in 0.52-mm intervals, over a total length of 33.28mm. The sensor system was tested on two flat specimens, which have two layers of an aluminum alloy, with and without far-side defects around rivets. The sensor system performance was estimated via both the receiver operating characteristic and the probability of detection (POD) curves. Furthermore, a quantitative evaluation of the surface area, depth, and volume of a defect having a POD greater than 90% was carried out.
- W.R. Hendricks. In Structural Integrity of Aging Airplanes, S.N. Atluri, S.G. Sampath and P. Tong, Eds., pp. 153–165. Springer-Verlag (1991).
- M. Job. Aerospace Publications Pty Ltd, ACT, Australia. ISBN 1-875671-19-6, Vol. 2 (1996).
- G.L. Fitzpatrick, D.K. Thome, R.L. Skaugset, E.Y.C. Shih, and W.C.L. Shih. Material Evaluation. 51(12):1402–1407 (1993).
- M. Le, J. Lee, S. Lee, and T.A. Shoji. NDT & E Int. 44: 783–788 (2011).
- B. Sasi, B.P.C. Rao, T. Jayakumar, and B. Raj. Defense Science Journal. 59(2): 106–112 (2009).
- A. Sophian, G.Y. Tian, D. Taylor, and J. Rudlin. Sensors and Actuators A. 101: 92–98 (2002).
- I.Z. Abidin, C. Mandache, G.Y. Tian, and M. Morozov. NDT & E Int. 42: 599–605 (2009).
- J. Kim, G. Yang, L. Udpa, and S. Udpa. NDT & E Int. 43: 141–144 (2010).
- P. Horan, P.R. Lowerhill, and T.W. Krause. NDT & E Int. 44: 21–27 (2013).
- J. Jun, J. Lee, and D. Park. J Korean Soc. Nondestr. Test. 27(5): 375–382 (2007).
- J. Jun, M. Choi, J. Lee. IEEE Trans. Mag. 47(10): 3959–62, (2011).
- J. Jun, Y. Park, and J. Lee. Journal of Electrical Engineering (Elektrotechnicky Casopis). 61 (7): 32–35 (2010).
- J. Kim, M. Le, J. Lee, and Y.H. Hwang. Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation (JONE) 33 (4)(2014) 471–480.
- J. Kim, M. Le, and J. Lee. Proc. of IEEE Sensors Applications Symposium (SAS), 18–20 Feb. Queenstown, New Zealand. pp. 42– 46 (2014).
- H.T. Karimollah. Caspian J Intern Med. 4(2): 627–635 (2013).
- R. Kumar, and A. Indrayan. Indian Pediatrics. 48(4): 277–287 (2011).
- A.P. Berens. American Society for Metals Handbook Nondestructive Evaluation and Quality Control. ASM International. 17: 689–701 (1989).
- P.R. Underhill, and T.W. Krause. NDT & E Int. 44: 513–518 (2011).
- U. Schnars, and A. Kück. In: 4th European-American Workshop on Reliability of NDE, Berlin, pp. 24–26 (2009).
- C. Annis, A. David. Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation. 24, D.O. Thompson and D.E. Chimenti, Eds., American Institute of Physics. New York (2005).
- C. Annis. Department of Defense Handbook. Wright-Patterson AFB, USA (2009).
- C. Annis. R package mh1823, Version 4.0.1 (2013). http://www.statisticalengineering. com/mh1823. (accessed February 2016).
38 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares