Used Fuel Containers (UFC) are a major engineered component of the proposed concept of a deep geological repository for storage of Canada’s spent nuclear fuel, put forward by the Nuclear Waste Management Organization (NWMO). The NWMO designed UFC is a steel/copper vessel, in which the used fuel is packaged before final underground emplacement for several thousand years. As part of the design and development program in collaboration with NWMO, Nucleom Inc. has evaluated different NDE techniques for the examination of the critical characteristics of the UFC such as the partial penetration carbon steel weld joints and the copper coating applied on the exterior. To optimize the probability of detection (PoD), a combination of ultrasonic and eddy current methods have been investigated for the detection and sizing of volumetric, surface and dis-bond defects, verification of coating thickness, as well as for examination of the partial penetration weld. The results from inspection trials and NDE simulations are presented herein.
1. Svensk Kärnbränslehantering AB (SKB), "R-08-129: Reliability in non-destructive testing (NDT) of the canister components," Stockholm, 2008.
2. Nucleom Inc., "C14-NWM-01_TR.13: NDE Technique Evaluation for Copper Coating Inspection Program," Quebec, 2016.
3. Nucleom Inc., "C14-NWM-01_TR.15: Copper Coating PoD Analysis Report (15M)," Quebec, 2016.
4. Nucleom Inc., "C14-NWM-01_SPC.02-A: Sample List - Non-Standard Features," Québec, 2015.
5. Nucleom Inc., "C14-NWM-01_TR.04-B: Codes & Standards Review and Preliminary Target Flaw Size for Weld Inspection Program, "Quebec, 2015.
6. F. Jenson, E. Iakovleva and N. Dominguez, "Simulation supported POD: methodology and HFET validation case," Review of Progress in QNDE, vol. 30, 2010.
7. N. Dominguez, V. Feuillard, P. Willaume and F. Jenson, "Simulation assisted POD of a Phased Array Ultrasonic Inspection in Manufacturing," Review of Progress in QNDE, vol. 31B, 2011.
8. C. P. Annis, "MIL-HBDK-1823A: Nondestructive Evaluation System Reliability Assessment Handbook," United States of America - De partment of Defense, 2009.
9. T. Liyanage, J.-F. Martel, O. Marcotte and D. Doyle, "Non-Destructive Examination (NDE) Development for the Inspection of Copper Coatings on Used Fuel Containers," in 3rd Canadian Conference on Nuclear Waste Management, Decommissioning and Environmental Restoration, Ottawa, Canada, 2016.
10. EXTENDE Inc., CIVA 2016 User Manual - V11.1, 2015, Extende Inc., 2015.
11. ASME, "Section V - Nondestructive Examination / Article 4 - Ultrasonic Examination Methods for Welds," Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, 2013.
12. E. Ginzel, "Introduction tto the Statistics of NDE," NDT.net, 2006. [Online]. [Accessed December 2016].
17 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares