Evaluating Damage in Simple-span Prestressed
Concrete Girders using Acoustic Emission: Laboratory
Specimens and Existing County Bridge
Publication: Publication Date: 1 January 2017Testing Method:
The need for rapid, cost-effective, and reliable
techniques for assessment and load rating of inservice
concrete bridge girders has grown rapidly
in recent years. Every agency in the United States
has numerous old and/or deteriorated concrete
bridges, many of which are classified as structurally
deficient. The current state of nondestructive load
testing practice includes two types of tests that can
be implemented depending on the nature of the
issue for a particular bridge: diagnostic load tests
and proof load tests. In this paper, the use of acoustic
emission monitoring for damage assessment during
load tests is discussed in two case studies. In the first
study, cyclic load testing in general conformance with
ACI 437 was conducted on prestressed concrete
T-shaped beams that had different initial conditions:
five specimens were pre-cracked and corroded to
different corrosion levels while the remaining unconditioned
beams served as control specimens. The
second study discusses a proof load test conducted to
assess the condition of a simple-span, prestressed
concrete double-T-beam bridge without plans
located in southern New Mexico. The results of
both studies demonstrate the feasibility of using
acoustic emission data to classify damage during
- Abdelrahman, M., M. ElBatanouny, and P. Ziehl, “Acoustic Emission Based Damage Assessment Method for Prestressed Concrete Structures: Modified Index of Damage,” Engineering Structures, Vol. 60, February 2014, pp. 258–264
- Abdelrahman, M., M.K. ElBatanouny, P. Ziehl, J. Fasl, C.J. Larosche, and J. Fraczek, “Classification of Alkali-silica Reaction Damage using Acoustic Emission: A Proof-of-concept Study,” Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 95, October 2015, 2015, pp. 406–413.
- ACI, ACI 318-14, Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete, American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, Michigan, 2014.
- ACI, ACI 437-12, Code Requirements For Load Testing of Existing Concrete Structures, American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, Michigan, 2012.
- Aggelis, D.G., T. Shiotani, S. Momoki, and A. Hirama, “Acoustic Emission and Ultrasound for Damage Characterization of Concrete Elements,” Materials Journal, Vol. 106, No. 6, 2009, pp. 509–514.
- Aguilar, C., D. Jáuregui, C. Newtson, B. Weldon, and T. Cortez, “Load Rating a Prestressed Concrete Double T-beam Bridge without Plans by Field Testing,” Transportation Research Record Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2522, 2015, pp. 90–99.
- Anay, R., T. Cortez, D. Jáuregui, M. ElBatanouny, and P. Ziehl, “On-site Acoustic Emission Monitoring for Assessment of a Prestressed Concrete Double-tee-beam Bridge without Plans,” Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, Vol. 30, No. 4, 2016.
- ASME, ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code Section V: Nondestructive Examination, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, New York, New York, 2015a.
- ASME, ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code Section X: Fiber-reinforced Plastic Pressure Vessels, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, New York, New York, 2015b.
- Benavent-Climent, A., A. Gallego, and J.M. Vico, “An Acoustic Emission Energy Index for Damage Evaluation of Reinforced Concrete Slabs under Seismic Loads,” Structural Health Monitoring, Vol. 11, No. 1, 2011, pp. 69–81.
- Colombo, S., M.C. Forde, I.G. Main, and M. Shigeishi, “Predicting the Ultimate Bending Capacity of Concrete Beams from the ‘Relaxation Ratio’ Analysis of AE Signals,” Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 19, No. 10, pp. 746–754.
- ElBatanouny, M.K., P.H. Ziehl, A. Larosche, J. Mangual, F. Matta, and A. Nanni, “Acoustic Emission Monitoring for Assessment of Prestressed Concrete Beams,” Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 58, May 2014a, pp. 46–53.
- ElBatanouny, M.K., A. Larosche, P. Mazzoleni, P.H. Ziehl, F. Matta, and E. Zappa, “Identification of Cracking Mechanisms in Scaled FRP Reinforced Concrete Beams using Acoustic Emission,” Experimental Mechanics, Vol. 54, No. 1, 2014b, pp. 69–82.
- ElBatanouny, M., J. Mangual, P. Ziehl, and F. Matta, “Early Corrosion Detection in Prestressed Concrete Girders using Acoustic Emission,” Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, Vol. 26, No. 3, 2014c, pp. 504–511.
- ElBatanouny, M.K., A. Nanni, P.H. Ziehl, and F. Matta, “Condition Assessment of Prestressed Concrete Girders using Cyclic and Monotonic Load Tests,” Structural Journal, Vol. 112, No. 1, 2015, pp. 81–90.
- Fowler, T.J., J.A. Blessing, P.J. Conlisk, and T.L. Swanson, “The MONPAC Procedure,” Journal of Acoustic Emission, Vol. 8, No. 3, 1989, pp. 1–8.
- Golaski, L., P. Gebski, and K. Ono, “Diagnostics of Reinforced Concrete by Acoustic Emission,” Journal of Acoustic Emission, Vol. 20, 2002, pp. 83–98.
- Lovejoy, S., “Acoustic Emission Testing of Beams to Simulate SHM of Vintage Reinforced Concrete Deck Girder Highway Bridges,” Structural Health Monitoring, Vol. 7, No. 4, 2008, pp. 327–346.
- Nair, A., and C.S. Cai, “Acoustic Emission Monitoring of Bridges: Review and Case Studies,” Engineering Structure, Vol. 32, No. 6, 2010, pp. 1704–1714.
- JSNDI, NDIS-2421, Recommended Practice for In-situ Monitoring of Concrete Structures by Acoustic Emission, Japanese Society for Non-Destructive Inspection, Tokyo, Japan, 2000.
- Ohtsu, M., M. Uchida, T. Okamoto, and S. Yuyama, “Damage Assessment of Reinforced Concrete Beams Qualified by Acoustic Emission,” Structural Journal, Vol. 99, No. 4, 2002, pp. 411–417.
- Pines, D., and A.E. Aktan, “Status of Structural Health Monitoring of Long‐span Bridges in the United States,” Progress in Structural Engineering and Materials, Vol. 4, No. 4, 2002, pp. 372–380.
- Rehman, S.K.U., Z. Ibrahim, S.A. Memon, and M. Jameel, “Nondestructive Test Methods for Concrete Bridges: A Review,” Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 107, March 2016, pp. 58–86.
- Shiotani, T., M. Ohtsu, and K. Ikeda, “Detection and Evaluation of AE Waves Due to Rock Deformation,” Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 15, Nos. 5–6, 2001, pp. 235–246.
- Yuyama, S., K. Yokoyama, K. Niitani, M. Ohtsu, and T. Uomoto, “Detection and Evaluation of Failures in High-strength Tendon of Prestressed Concrete Bridges by Acoustic Emission,” Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 21, No. 3, 2007, pp. 491–500.
- Ziehl, P., and M. ElBatanouny, “Low-level Acoustic Emission (AE) in the Long Term Monitoring of Concrete,” Chapter 11, Acoustic Emission and Related Non-destructive Evaluation Techniques in the Fracture Mechanics of Concrete: Fundamentals and Applications, Woodhead Publishing, Cambridge, United Kingdom, 2015, pp. 216–236.
- Ziehl, P., and A. Ridge, “Evaluation of Strengthened Reinforced Concrete Beams: Cyclic Load Test and Acoustic Emission Methods,” Structural Journal, Vol. 103, No. 6, 2006, pp. 832–841.
151 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares