Nonlinear Ultrasonic Nondestructive Evaluation of Damaged Concrete Based on Embedded Piezoelectric Sensors
Publication: Publication Date: 1 August 2016Testing Method: ,
We studied the acoustic signal responses of the concrete in undamaged and damaged conditions and different depths of sensors embedded in the concrete. The acoustic signal responses of the concrete under different applied loads were analyzed by using time domain waveform and frequency domain spectra. The results showed that the change of the ultrasonic wave amplitude was sensitive to the crack of the concrete surface at the microscopic level when the depth of sensors embedded in the concrete was 20 mm. The first pulse amplitude level, the peak-to-peak value, and the third harmonic amplitude reduced by 5%, 20%, and 35%, respectively, when the applied load to concrete was 10 N·mm−2. When the sensors were embedded in concrete with a depth of 60 mm and applied with various loadings, via analyzing the acoustic signals, the internal cracks and extensive damage of concrete were detected. When the applied loading reached 35 N·mm−2 and the maximum value, the peak-to-peak values of waveform were reduced by 15% and 60%, respectively. In addition, the harmonic ratios (A2=A21 and A3=A31) considerably increased with increasing applied loadings.
- W. Tian, F. N. Dang, X. Y. Liang, and H. Q. Chen. Journal of Hydroelectric Engineering 28(5):147–151 (2009).
- W. Tian, F. N. Dang, X. Y. Liang, and H. Q. Chen. Engineering Journal of Wuhan University 41 (2):69–72 (2008).
- J. L. Zhu, L. D. Xiang, S. S. Liu, Y. M. He, and M. H. Zhou. Chinese Journal of Sensors and Actuators 21(7):1290–1294 (2008).
- R. Jones. British Journal Applied Physics 3:229–232 (1952).
- R. Jones and I. Facaoaru. Material and Structures 2(10):275–284 (1969).
- Annual Book of ASTM Standards. West Conshohocken, PA: American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) (2009).
- J. Kraukrämer and H. Krautkrämer. Ultrasonic Testing of Materials. 4th ed. Heidelberg, Germany: Springer Verlag (1990).
- D. J. Stauffer, C. Woodward, and K. R. White. ACI Materials Journal 102(2):118–121 (2005).
- S. F. Selleck, E. N. Landis, M. L. Peterson, S. P. Shah, and J. G. Achenbach. ACI Materials Journal 95(1):27–36 (1998).
- W. Suaris and V. Fernando ACI Materials Journal 84(3):185–193 (1987).
- S. E. Roe, C. Woodward, and M. J. Cramer. Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation 26:1429–1434 (2007).
- A. Madeo, L. Placidi, and G. Rosi. Research in Nondestructive Evaluation 25(2):99–124 (2014). DOI:10.1080/09349847.2013.853114.
- F. Dell’Isola, M. Porfiri, and S. Vidoli. Comptes Rendus Mcanique 331(1):69–76 (2003).
- A. A. Shah, Y. Ribakov, and S. Hirose. Materials and Design 30:775–782 (2009).
- A. A. Shah and Y. Ribakov. Materials and Design 30:3504–3511 (2009).
- A. A. Shah and Y. Ribakov. Materials and Design 30:4095–4102 (2009).
- Y. Zheng, R. G. Maev, and I. Y. Solodov. Canadian Journal Physics 77:927–967 (1999).
- R. G. Maev and I. Y. Solodov. IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium 707–710 (1998).
66 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares