Development of an Ultrasonic Inspection Technique
for Sizing of Cracks in Complex Geometry Plant
Publication: Publication Date: 1 May 2016Testing Method:
This paper discusses the development of an ultrasonic
time of flight diffraction-based inspection
technique for sizing surface-breaking vertical
cracks in complex geometry plant components like
a solid steam turbine rotor with integral discs. A
simple geometric model was developed.
Specimens containing vertical notches simulating
cracks in real-life rotors and holding devices for
affixing the transmitter and receiver probes in
plane and on opposite sides of the disc-like
portion of the specimens were designed and fabricated.
Experiments were conducted, and the
results show that the inspection technique
developed here can size such cracks with reasonable
accuracy. The technique can be useful for in-situ
condition assessment and remaining life
assessment of aged, in-service complex geometry
- Baby, S., T. Balasubramanian, R.J. Pardikar, M. Palaniappan, and R. Subbaratnam, “Time-of-flight Diffraction (TOFD) Technique for Accurate Sizing of Surface-breaking Cracks,” Insight, Vol. 45, No. 6, 2003a, pp. 426–430.
- Baby, S., T. Balasubramanian, R.J. Pardikar, M. Palaniappan, and R. Subbaratnam, “Time of Flight Diffraction (TOFD) Technique for Accurate Sizing Cracks Embedded in Sub Cladding Cracks,” Insight, Vol. 45, No. 9, 2003b, pp. 600–604.
- Bloodworth, T., L. Johansson, and A. Pettersson,“High-accuracy Defect Sizing for Nozzle Attachment Welds,” Insight, Vol. 41, No. 9, 1999, pp. 589–591.
- Broek, D., The Practical Use of Fracture Mechanics, second printing, Kluwer Academic Publishers Dordrecht, Netherlands, 1989.
- Charlesworth, J.P., and J.A.G. Temple, Engineering Applications of Ultrasonic Time-of-flight Diffraction, second edition, Research Studies Press, Ltd., Baldock, England, 2002.
- Hansen, P., “3D Inspection System for Ultrasonic Examination and Evaluation of Complex Geometry Components,” Proceedings of the EU-JRC International Conference, 20–22 October 1998, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Johnston, C., M.A. Cooper, and R.J. Martin, “An Approach to Power Station Boiler and Turbine Life Management,” Insight, Vol. 46, No. 10, 2004, pp. 606–609.
- Nath, S.K., “Effect of Variation in Signal Amplitude and Transit Time on Reliability Analysis of Ultrasonic Time of Flight Diffraction Characterization of Vertical and Inclined Cracks,” Ultrasonics, Vol. 54, No. 3, 2014, pp. 938–952.
- Nath, S.K., “Ultrasonic Time of Flight Diffraction (TOFD) Inspection of Complex Geometry Components and its Reliability Analysis,” Ph.D. thesis, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, Chennai, India, 2009.
- Nath, S.K., K. Balasubramaniam, C.V. Krishnamurthy, and B.H. Narayana, “An Ultrasonic Time of Flight Diffraction Technique for Characterization of Surface-breaking Inclined Cracks,” Materials Evaluation, Vol. 67, No. 2, 2009, pp. 141–148.
- Nath, S.K., K. Balasubramaniam, C.V. Krishnamurthy, and B.H. Narayana, “Sizing of Surface-breaking Cracks in Complex Geometry Components by Ultrasonic Time-of-flight Diffraction (TOFD) Technique,” Insight, Vol. 49, No. 4, 2007, pp. 200–206.
- Stubbs, T., “The Role of NDE in the Life Management of Steam Turbine Rotors,” Insight, Vol. 46, No. 9, 2004, pp. 529–532.
244 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares