The State of Nevada is embarking on a deck rehabilitation project of a 1.5-mile viaduct section of I-515 in Las Vegas totaling over 1.3 million square feet. In order to facilitate planning and subsequent design efforts, a comprehensive nondestructive evaluation of the deck condition was carried out. The deck evaluation was completed in two phases. Phase 1 included high-speed ground penetrating radar (HS-GPR), high-speed infrared thermography (HS-IR), and high resolution video surveys; and resulted in digital 2D maps and detailed quantities of concrete deterioration, delamination, spalling, existing repairs, and rebar-cover measurements. The results of Phase 1 were used by Nevada DOT to create a comprehensive and precise rehabilitation plan, project phasing and implementation schedules, and determine corresponding funding requirements. Phase 2 included localized ground-coupled GPR, impact-echo, sounding, and targeted drilling to refine the Phase 1 results. The final condition maps and detailed repair needs (including quantities) served as a basis for the rehabilitation design, construction contract specifications, and documentation to facilitate an accurate bid process. The paper describes the Phase 1 and 2 deck evaluation methods and results, the implications of these results on the subsequent deck rehabilitation planning and designing efforts, and overall benefits of this innovative 2-phase approach versus using traditional methods.
1. ASTM, “Standard Practice for Measuring Delaminations in Concrete Bridge Decks by Sounding”, ASTM, Annual Book of Standards, Vol 04.03, Designation D4580-2012.
2. ASTM, “Standard Test Method for Corrosion Potentials of Uncoated Reinforcing Steel in Concrete”, ASTM, Annual Book of ASTM Standards, Vol 03.02, Designation C876-2015.
3. ASTM, “Standard Test Method for Detecting Delamination in Bridge Decks Using Infrared Thermography,” ASTM, Annual Book of ASTM Standards, Vol 04.03, Designation: D4788-03-2013.
4. ASTM, “Standard Test Method for Evaluating Asphalt-Covered Concrete Bridge Decks Using Ground Penetrating Radar”, ASTM, Annual Book of ASTM Standards, Vol 04.03, Designation: D6087-08-2015.
5. ASTM, “Standard Test Method for Measuring the P -Wave Speed and the Thickness of Concrete Plates Using the Impact-Echo Method,” ASTM, Annual Book of ASTM Standards, Vol 04.02, Designation: C1383 -2015.
6. SHRP2 “Nondestructive Testing to Identify Concrete Bridge Deck Deterioration. “Strategic Highway Research Program Report S2-R06A-RR-1: Washington, DC, 2013.
14 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares