Guided Wave Structural Health Monitoring Technique for Large Diameter Storage Tank Floors
Conference: Publication Date: 26 October 2015Testing Method:
Guided wave has created a structural health monitoring (SHM) technique for inspecting large diameter storage tank floors. Current inspection techniques for storage tank floors require tank shutdown and the tank to be drained of product and cleaned prior to inspection. Prior to shutting down the tank and conducting an inspection, little information is available about the tank floor condition. In some cases, corrosion or other damage causes leaks in the floor which are not detected until product is observed on the ground outside the tank. Therefore, there is a great need for developing a real-time SHM system that can detect damage while the tank is in service. To achieve this, an ultrasonic guided wave tomography SHM approach was developed.
- Rose, J L. 2014. Ultrasonic Guided Waves in Solid Media. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Zhao, Xiaoliang, Huidong Gao, Guangfan Zhang, Bulent Ayhan, Fei Yan, Chiman Kwan, and Joseph L Rose. 2007. "Active health monitoring of an aircraft wing with embedded piezoelectric sensor/actuator network: I. Defect detection, localization and growth monitoring." Smart Materials and Structures 16: 1208-1217.
- Yan, Fei, Roger L Royer, and Joseph L Rose. 2010. "Ultrasonic Guided Wave Imaging Techniques in Structural Health Monitoring." Intellignet Material Systems and Structures 21.
- Van Velsor, J K, H Gao, and J L Rose. 2007. "Guided-wave tomographic imaging of defects in pipe using a probabilistic reconstruction algorithm." Insight 49 (9): 532-537.
- Hay, T R, R L Royer, Huidong Gao, Xiang Zhao, and J L Rose. 2006. "A comparison of embedded sensor Lamb wave ultrasonic tomography approaches for material loss detection." Smart Materials and Structures 15: 946-951.
- Huthwaite, Peter, Remo Ribichini, Peter Cawley, and Michael J. S. Lowe. 2013. "Mode Selection for Corrosion Detection in Pipes and Vessels via Guided Wave Tomography." IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, 60 (6): 1165-1177.
- Cawley, P, T Clarke, and F Simonetti. 2010. "Guided wave health monitoring of complex structures by sparse array ststems: Influence of temperature changes on performance." Sound and Vibration 329: 2306- 2322.
155 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares