Evaluation of the Microstructural Changes of a Heat Treated 2.25%Cr-1%Mo Steel using EMAT and Ultrasonic Testing
Conference: Publication Date: 29 July 2015Testing Method:
The microstructural changes in a heat treated 2.25%Cr – 1%Mo steel were evaluated by using NDT/NDE and electron optics techniques. The continuous improvements in ultrasonic transducer technology and signal processing make the use of Immersion UT and Electro Magnetic Acoustic Transducers (EMAT) a feasible non-destructive testing techniques to assess different levels of microstructural changes in complex alloys systems. For example, in this study the different microstructural conditions resulting from a number of heat treatments, i.e. annealing, water quenched, spheroidization and tempering, were systematically evaluated using a combination of signal processing results such as; ultrasonic attenuation, peak amplitude. The NDT/NDE results were complemented with the use of optical and scanning electron microscopy. Correlations between the different microstructures; a) ferrite-pearlite; b) martensite; c) spheroidized Fe3C carbides and alloyed Cr-Mo carbides and the signal processing results were developed. In addition, microhardness and CVN testing of the different microstructural conditions were also evaluated. The results of this study will be presented and discussed.
- "Chrome Moly/Alloy Steel Valves f11/f22/f5/f9."Chrome Moly Valve Material F5 F11 F22 F9 C5 WC6 WC9 C12. Web. 4 Dec. 2014.
- Erhart, H., and H.J. Grabke. "Equilibrium Segregation of Phosphorus at Grain Boundaires of Fe-P, Fe-C-P, Fe-Cr-P, and Fe-Cr-C0P Alloys." Metal Science 15 (1981).
- Blitz, J. and Simpson, G., “Ultrasonic methods of non-dectructive testing” (Chapman & Hall) (1996).
- Silva, Antonio Almeida, and Vera Lúcia Araújo Freitas. "Microstructural Characterization of Carbon Steels Using Ultrasonic Velocity Measurements."20th International Congress of Mechanical Engineering (2009)
- Tuncer, B.O, and C.H Gur. “Investigating the Microstructure Ultrasonic Property Relationships in Steels." Middle East Technical Univ. Web. 1 Dec. 2014.
- Sahoo S., B. B. Jha* and T. K. Sahoo. “Microstructural Characterisation of Thermally Degraded 2.25Cr–1Mo Steel Using Ultrasonic Measurement and its Correlation With Mechanical Properties” Material Science and Technology Vol 30 No 10 (2014).
- Gopichand A., M. Muralidhara Rao, A. V. N. L. Sharma and V. S.Tony: “Analysis and Estimation of Attenuation Coefficient of Agingen-19 Steel”, J Eng. Res. Appl., 2012, (1), 590–595.7.
- Ruiz A, N. Ortiz, H. Carreon and C. Rubio: “Utilization of Ultrasonic Measurements for Determining the Variations in Microstructure of Thermally Degraded 2205 Duplex Stainless Steel”,J Nondestr. Eval., 2009, 28, 131–139.
- Murav’ev V.: “Interrelationship of the velocity of an ultrasonicwave in steels and their heat cycles”, Soviet J. Nondestr. Test., 1989,25, (2), 135–37.13. V.5.
131 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares