Ultrasonic images have relatively low resolution and poor imaging quality due to the speckle noise produced by the interference
of backscattered signals. The densities of carbon-fiber-reinforced polymer (CFRP) and carbon-carbon (C/C) samples
are not uniform due to the anisotropic properties of carbon composites. In this paper, a super-resolution (SR) image reconstruction
technique is proposed to obtain high resolution (HR) defect images for nondestructive evaluation (NDE). SR image
reconstruction is an approach used to overcome the inherent resolution limitations of the existing ultrasonic system. It can
greatly improve the image quality and also can allow for more detailed inspection of the region of interest (ROI) with high
resolution, making defect evaluation easier and more accurate. Therefore, a HR image has particular value in defect diagnosis.
Firstly, this method uses a micro-scanning imaging technique to obtain a low-resolution (LR) image sequence with
sub-pixel displacement. Then, the HR ultrasound image is reconstructed by applying the iterative back projection (IBP)
reconstruction algorithm. The result was studied and compared at the end of this paper.
1. Im, K.H., D.K. Hsu and I.Y. Yang, “Inspection of Inhomogeneities in Carbon/Phenolic Matrix Composite Materials
Using NDE Techniques,” Key Engineering Materials, Vol. 270-273, pp. 1799-1805, 2004.
2. Lee, J.H., S.W. Choi, K.S. Kim and J.H. Park, “Nondestructive Characterisation of Carbon/Carbon Brake Disks Using
Ultrasonics,” 10th Asia-Pacific Conference on Non-Destructive Testing, Brisbane, Australia, pp. 1109-1112, 2001.
3. Ruosi, A., “Nondestructive Detection of Damage in Carbon Fiber Composites by SQUID Magnetometry,” Physica Status
Solidi C - Conferences and Critical Reviews, Vol. 2(5), pp. 1533-1555, 2005.
4. Bray, D.E. and D. McBride, Nondestructive Testing Techniques, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1992.
5. Zhang, H., M. Wan, J. Wan and X. Qin, “Super-Resolution Reconstruction of Deformable Tissue from Temporal
Sequence of Ultrasound Images,” 2010 International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Computational
Intelligence (AICI 2010), Vol. 1pp. 337-342, 2010.
6. Kouame, D. and M. Ploquin, “Super-resolution in Medical Imaging: An Illustrative Approach Through Ultrasound,”
2009 IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging: from Nano to Macro, Vol. 1 and 2,
pp. 249-252, 2009.
7. Clark, G. and J.Jackson, “Super-Resolution Algorithms for Ultrasonic Nondestructive Evaluation Imagery,” Journal of
the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 120(5), pp. 3140-3140, 2006.
8. Dai, Y., B. Wang and D. Liu, “A Fast and Robust Super Resolution Method for Intima Reconstruction in Medical
Ultrasound,” 2009 3rd International Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedical Engineering (iCBBE 2009),
pp. 1-4, 2009.
9. Clement, G.T., “Superresolution in Ultrasound Imaging,” 2009 IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging:
From Nano to Macro, ISBI’09, Vol. 1 and 2, pp. 258-261, 2009.
10. Tsai, R.Y. and T.S. Huang, “Multiframe Image Restoration and Registration,” Advances in Computer Vision and Image
Processing, Vol. 1, pp. 101-106, 1984.
11. Stark, H. and P. Oskoui, “High Resolution Image Recovery From Image Plane Arrays, Using Convex Projections,”
Journal of the Optical Society of America a-Optics Image Science and Vision, Vol. 6(11), pp. 1715-1726, 1989.
12. Irani, M. and S. Peleg, “Super Resolution From Image Sequences,” Proceedings. 10th International Conference on
Pattern Recognition (Cat. No.90CH2898-5), Vol. 112, pp. 115-120, 1990.
13. Irani, M. and S. Peleg, “Improving Resolution by Image Registration,” Cvgip-Graphical Models and Image Processing,
Vol. 53(3), pp. 231-239, 1991.
14. Schultz, R.R. and R.L. Stevenson, “Improved Definition Video Frame Enhancement,” 1995 International Conference on
Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing - Conference Proceedings, Vol. 1-5, pp. 2169-2172, 1995.
15. Schultz, R.R. and R.L. Stevenson, “Video Resolution Enhancement,” Proc. Conference on Image and Video Processing
III, pp. 23-34, 1995.
16. Schultz, R.R. and R.L. Stevenson, “Extraction of High-resolution Frames From Video Sequences,” IEEE Transactions
on Image Processing, Vol. 5(6), pp. 996-1011, 1996.
17. Schultz, R.R. and R.L. Stevenson, “Motion-compensated Scan Conversion of Interlaced Video Sequences,” Proc.
Conference on Image and Video Processing IV, pp. 107-118, 1996.
18. Kang, M.G. and S. Chaudhuri, “Super-resolution image reconstruction,” IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, Vol. 20(3),
pp. 19-20, 2003.
19. Park, S.C., M.K. Park and M.G. Kang, “Super-resolution image reconstruction: A technical overview,” IEEE Signal
Processing Magazine, Vol. 20(3), pp. 21-36, 2003.