The application of two techniques for the reconstruction of shape reconstruction of a metallic
cylinder from scattered field measurements is studied in this paper. These techniques are
applied to two-dimensional configurations, for which the method of moment (MoM) is
applied to solve the integral equations. Considering that the microwave imaging is recast
as a nonlinear optimization problem, an objective function is defined by the norm of the
difference between the measured scattered electric fields and those calculated for each estimated
metallic cylinder. Thus, the shape of a metallic cylinder can be obtained by minimizing
the objective function. In order to solve this inverse scattering problem, two techniques
are employed. The first one is based on dynamic differential evolution (DDE) algorithm,
while the second one is an improved version of the DDE algorithm with self-adaptive control
parameters, called SADDE. Both techniques are tested for the simulated data contaminated
by additive white Gaussian noise. Numerical results indicate that SADDE algorithm outperforms
DDE algorithm in terms of reconstruction accuracy and convergence speed.
1. C. C. Chiu, C. H. Sun, and Y. S. Fan. Imaging Science Journal 60:83–89 (2012).
2. A. Semnani, I. T. Rekanos, M. Kamyab, and T. G. Papadopoulos. IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag.
3. L. Pan, Y. Zhong, X. Chen, and S. P. Yeo. IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing 49:981–987 (2011).
4. C. H. Sun, C. L. Li, C. C. Chiu, and C. H. Huang. Research in Nondestructive Evaluation 22:1–15
5. T. Moriyama, Z. Meng, and T. Takenaka. Microwave and Optical Technology Letters 53:438–442
6. F. Soldovieri, F. Ahmad, and R. Solimene. IEEE Transactions Geoscience and Remote Sensing 8:123–
7. M. Benedetti, D. Lesselier, M. Lambert, and A. Massa. IEEE Transactions Geoscience and Remote
Sensing 48:2330–2342 (2010).
8. C. H. Chen, C. C. Chiu, C. H. Sun, and W. L. Chang. Journal of Applied Remote Sensing 5:053522
9. C. H. Sun, C. C. Chiu, and C. J. Lin. International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics
10. L.-P. Song, C. Yu, and Q. H. Liu. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 43:2793–
11. M. Cayoren, I. Akduman, A. Yapar, and L. Crocco. IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Lett. 5:383–386 (2008=
12. M. El-Shenawee, O. Dorn, and M. Moscoso. IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. 57:520–534 (2009).
13. I. Catapano, L. Crocco, and T. Isernia. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing
14. T. Rubæk, P. M. Meaney, P. Meincke, and K. D. Paulsen. IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. 55:2320–
15. Denisov, A. M. Elements of Theory of Inverse Problems. VSP, Utrecht, The Netherlands (1999).
16. C. H. Sun, C. L. Liu, K. C. Chen, C. C. Chiu, C. L. Li, and C. C. Tasi. Electromagnetics 28:389–400
17. W. Chien, C. H. Sun, and C. C. Chiu. International Journal of Imaging Systems and Technology
18. X. M. Zhong, C Liao, and W. Chen. Journal of Electromagnetic Waves Application 21:25–34 (2007).
19. W. Chien and C. C. Chiu. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation 53:3128–3134 (2005).
20. A. Massa, D. Franceschini, G. Franceschini, M. Pastorino, M. Raffetto, and M. Donelli. IEEE Transaction
on Antennas and Propagation 53:3118–3127 (2005).
21. A. Qing. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 44:116–125 (2006).
22. C. H. Sun, C. C. Chiu, C. L. Li, and C. H. Huang. Electromagnetics 30:309–323 (2010).
23. C. H. Sun, C. C. Chiu, W. Chien, and C. L. Li. Journal of Electronic Imaging 19:043016 (2010).
24. C. H. Sun and C. C. Chiu. International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering
25. C. C. Chiu and W. C. Hsiao. Waves in Random and Complex Media 21:485–500 (2011).
26. I. T. Rekanos. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 46:1967–1974 (2008).
MICROWAVE IMAGING FOR BURIED METALLIC CYLINDER 49
27. C. H. Huang, C. C. Chiu, C. L. Li, and K. C. Chen. Progress In Electromagnetic Research (PIER)
28. C. H. Sun, C. C. Chiu, and C. L. Li. Progress In Electromagnetic Research M. (PIER M) 14:85–100
29. X. Chen. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 48:42–49 (2010).
30. L. Pan, Y. Zhong, X. Chen, and S. P. Yeo. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing
31. C. C. Chiu and Y. W. Kiang. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation 40:933–941 (1992).
32. K. C. Lee. International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering 4:398–403 (2004).
33. M. R. Hajihashemi, and M. E. Shenawee. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing
34. J. Brest, S. Greiner, B. Boskovic, M. Mernik, and V. Zumer. IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary
Computation 10:646–657 (2006).
35. R. Storn and K. Price. Technical Report TR-95-012. International Computer Science Institute,
36. B. Sai and P. van Genderen. Proc. International Conference on Radar Systems, Brest, France, May
17–21, 1999, Session 1.7, pp. 1–5.