Nuclear Power Plant containment wall mock-up for long-term NDE
Conference: Publication Date: 27 August 2018
Nondestructive examination (NDE) plays an important role in the support of ageing management programs, where the renewal of an operating license requires that nuclear power plants (NPP) demonstrate that their facilities are ageing under controlled conditions. The inspection of NPP concrete structures present challenges different from those of conventional civil engineering structures.
Finnish research on NDE for NPP concrete infrastructure (Project WANDA ˗ Non-Destructive Examination of Nuclear Power Plant Primary Circuit Components and Concrete Infrastructure) focuses on the evaluation, calibration and validation of the available NDE methods and monitoring systems for concrete structures. This is achieved through the design and construction of a real-scale mock-up of a reinforced concrete containment wall for NDE, monitoring, R&D and education purposes.
The mock-up represents a NPP reinforced concrete containment wall with simulated defects such as dimensional errors, finishing errors, honeycombing, cracking, delamination due to structure stresses or deterioration mechanisms, embedded foreign objects in the concrete, voids adjacent to liner, and voids in grouted tendon ducts for the post-tensioned structures.
The aim of this paper is to present the conceptual design of the mock-up, and provide some insight into its recent construction.
- Jäppinen, T., Ferreira, M., Koskinen, T., Bohner, E., Al-Neshawy, F., Virkkunen, I., 2017, “Non-destructive examination of NPP primary circuit components and concrete infrastructure (WANDA)”. In: SAFIR2018. The Finnish Research Programme on Nuclear Power Plant Safety 2015-2018. Interim Report. VTT Technology 294. Espoo. 2017, 331 – 342.
- Clayton, D., Hileman, M., 2012, Light Water Reactor Sustainability Nondestructive Evaluation for Concrete Research and Development Roadmap. ORNL/TM-2012/360. OAK Ridge National Laboratory. 72p.
- Ferreira, M., Bohner, E., Calonius, K., 2016, Acceptance criteria for maintenance of concrete structures in the nuclear industry - A Preliminary Study. Energiforsk AB. REPORT 2016. 65 p.
- Wiggenhauser, H., Helmerich, R., Karuse, M., Mielentz, F., Niederleithinger, E., Taffe, A., Wilsch, G., 2013, Non-destructive testing of NPP concrete structures. Sate of the art report. BAM - Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und –prüfung. 119p.
- OECD/NEA. 2016, Final Report of Assessment of Structures subjected to Concrete pathologies (ASCET) phase 1. OECD, Nuclear Safety, NEA/CSNI/R(2016)13.
- Jäppinen, T., Ferreira, M., 2016, “NDE Research of Nuclear Power Plant Primary Circuit Components and Concrete Infrastructure in Finland”. 19th World Conference on Non-Destructive Testing (WCNDT 2016). 13-17.6.2016, Munich, Germany, 7 p.
- Clayton, D., Khazanovich, L., Hoegh, K., Hileman, M., 2014, Preliminary Conceptual Design of a Thick Concrete Non-destructive Evaluation Specimen. ORNL/TM-2014/146. Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
- Al-Neshawy, F., Ferreira, M. & Bohner, E. 2016, Pre-design considerations for large-scale NDE mock-up. Espoo. VTT Research Report. VTT-R-00645-17. 30p.
0 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares