In Situ Inspection Of Concrete Structures Using A Rolling Ultrasound Scanner
Conference: Publication Date: 27 August 2018
A prototype of an ultrasonic roller scanning system was developed for concrete inspection using a piezoelectric Polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF) array transducer operating in separate transmission and receiver (pitch-catch) modus. The ultrasonic roller was equipped with multi-layer and multi-element transducers made by stacking pre-polarized PVDF films in a folded sequence using an adhesive. A large concrete area was scanned in a relatively short inspection time and good image quality was obtained by using a customized electronics platform and our own adaptation of the Synthetic Aperture Focusing Technique (SAFT) algorithm. The broadband characteristics obtained from the PVDF transducer made it possible to use a wide range of adjustable operational frequencies. This is highly beneficial for concrete imaging where typically aggregates with a large variation in sizes will limit the image quality and enforce a tradeoff between penetration depths and resolution.
- D Breysse, “Nondestructive evaluation of concrete strength: An historical review and a new perspective by combining NDT methods”, Constr. Build. Mater., vol. 33, pp.139-163, 2012.
- O. Tsioulou, A. Lampropoulos and S. Paschalis, “Combined Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) method for the evaluation of the mechanical characteristics of Ultra High Performance Fibre Reinforced Concrete (UHPFRC)”, Constr. Build. Mater., vol. 131, pp. 66-77, 2017.
- Y. Yoshida and H. Irie “NDT For Concrete Using the Ultrasonic Method”, 12th APCNDT Conf. Proc November 2006.
- K.R. Chapagain, S. Wagle, W. Bjerke, T. Melandsø, and F. Melandsø, “Multilayer piezoelectric PVDF transducers for nondestructive testing of concrete structures”, IEEE IUS Conf. Proc, September 2017.
- S. Wagle, K.R. Chapagain, W. Bjerke, T. Melandsø, and F. Melandsø, “PVDF transducers for SAFT imaging of concrete structures”, 15th APCNDT Conf. Proc, November 2017.
- K.R. Chapagain, W. Bjerke, S. Wagle and T. Melandsø,“Fast and real-time inspection of concrete structures using a rolling 3D ultrasound scanner”, 12th ECNDT Conf. Proc, June 2018.
- Q. Zhang, P. Lewin and P. Bloomfield, “PVDF transducers-a performance comparison of single-layer and multilayer structures”, IEEE Trans. Ultrason., Ferroelect., Freq. Control, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 1148-1156, September, 1997.A. Decharat, S. Wagle and F. Melandsø, “Evaluation of the Acoustical Properties of Adhesive free Dual Layer Piezoelectric PVDF Copolymer Transducer”, IEEE IUS Conf. Proc, July 2013.
- S. Wagle, A. Decharat, and F. Melandsø, “Adhesive-free dual layer piezoelectric PVDF copolymer transducers in sender and receiver sequence”, IEEE IUS Conf. Proc, September 2014.
- T. Stepinski, “Synthetic Aperture Focusing Technique in Ultrasonic Inspection of Coarse Grained Materials," Uppsala University, 2007.
- M. Schickert, M. Krause and W. Müller, “Ultrasonic Imaging of Concrete Elements Using Reconstruction by Synthetic Aperture Focusing Technique”, J. Mater. in Civil Eng., vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 235-246, 2003.
5 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares