Eddy Current Detection of Retained Austenite in Ni-Hard4 Cast Iron
Publication: Publication Date: 1 February 2018Testing Method:
In this article, the nondestructive eddy current (EC) method was used for microstructural evaluation of Ni-hard4 cast iron (NiHCI). Different destabilizing heat treatments were used to produce different microstructures and hardness. The microstructural analysis and hardness measurement were done for conventional characterization of the reference blocks. Then, the EC techniques were applied to evaluate the hardness and microstructural changes by the detection of EC parameters at different frequencies. Metallurgical investigations showed that increasing the destabilizing soaking time and temperature decreases the amount of retained austenite in NiHCIs. The nondestructive evaluation method (NDT) revealed that it can be good correlated between retained austenite amount and hardness with EC parameters. This shows that the EC technique can detect NiHCIs products according to the metallurgical characterization with good accuracy.
- E.C. Testing at Level 2: Training Guidelines for Non-Destructive Testing Techniques. International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Vienna, Austria (2011).
- P.J. Shull. Nondestructive Evaluation Theory, Techniques, and Applications. Marcel Dekker Inc., Pennsylvania (2001).
- S. Udpa. Nondestructive Testing Handbook, Electromagnetic Testing. Handbook on Nondestructive Testing, Vol. 5, III ed., American Society for Nondestructive Testing, Columbus Publication, 2004.
- K.L. Feiste, P. Fetter Marques, Ch. Reichert, W. Reimche, and D. Stegemann. 7th European Conference on Non-destructive Testing 3:26–29 (1998). Available at: http:// www.ndt.net/article/ecndt98/nuclear/245/245.htm.
- G. Chakraborty, A. Viswanath, C.K. Mukhopadhyay, V. Ramasubbu, S. Kattukaram Albert, B.P. Chandra Rao, A.K. Bhaduri, and T. Jayakumar. Welding in the World 56:59–65 (2012).
- O.N. Dogan, J.A. Hawk, and J. Rice. Materials Science & Technology Conference, New Orleans, LA (2004).
- J. Yoganandh, S. Natarajan, and S.P. Kumaresh-Babu. J. ASM International 22:2534– 2541(2013). Figure 7. Empirical relation between Hardness and inductive reactance at 200 kHz. 46 A. ASADI ET AL.
- L. George, G. Richard, and R. Klaus. Abrasion-Resistant Cast Iron Handbook. American Foundry Society, Schaumburg, Illinois (2000).
- S.H. Khan, F. Ali, A. Nusair Khan, and M.A. Iqbal. J. Mat. Pro. Tech. 200:316–318 (2008).
- S.H. Khan, F. Ali, A. Nusair Khan, and M.A. Iqbal. J. Computational Materials Science 43:623–628 (2008).
- Y. Bilik, D. Bilik, A. Moshkovich, V. Perfiyev, and L. Rapoport. J. Materials Evaluation 69:794–802 (2011).
- S. Ghanei, M. Kashefi, and M. Mazinani. J. Materials and Design 50:491–496 (2013).
- S. Ghanei, M. Kashefi, and M. Mazinani. J. Magnetism and Magnetic Materials 356:103–110 (2014).
- S. Konoplyuk. J. NDT&E International 43:360–364 (2010).
- M. Javahery, M. Abbasi, S.M. Riazi, and R. Eshghian. Iranian Metallurgical Engineering Society and Iranian Foundrymens Society. Tehran, Iran (2014) (in Persian).
- C. Mandache, L. Dubourg, A. Merati, and M. Jahazi. J. Materials Evaluation 66:382– 386 (2008).
- A. Razzaghi. M.Sc. Thesis, Babol Noshiravani University of Technology (2015) (in Persian).
- S. Kassim and M. Al-Rubaie. J. Wear 312:21–28 (2014).
- M. Filipovic, M. Kamberovic, M. Korac, and M. Gavrilovski. J. Met. Mater. Int. 19:473– 481 (2013).
- J. Ding, H. Huang, P.G. McCormick, and R. Street. J. Magnetism and Magnetic Materials 139:109–114 (1995).
- C.J. Hellier. Handbook of Nondestructive Evaluation. McGraw-Hill Companies, New York (2003).
- H.L. Libby. Introduction to Electromagnetic Nondestructive Test Methods. John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York (1971).
- M. Sheikh-Amiri and M. Kashefi, J. NDT&E International 42:618–621 (2009).
- K.V. Rajkumar, B.P.C. Rao, B. Sasi, A. Kumar, T. Jayakumar, B. Raj, and K.K. Ray. Materials Science and Engineering A 464:233–240 (2007).
81 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares