Accuracy, Precision, and Confidence in
X-ray Fluorescence for Positive Material
Publication: Publication Date: 1 January 2017Testing Method:
This article clarifies
the meaning and implications of accuracy,
precision, and confidence level as they
apply to X-ray fluorescence for positive material identification.
- API, API RP 578: Material Verification Program for New and Existing Alloy Piping Systems, second edition, American Petroleum Institute, Washington, D.C., 2010.
- API, API Spec 5L: Specification for Line Pipe, 45th edition, American Petroleum Institute, Washington, D.C., 2013.
- Blaisdell, E.A., Statistics in Practice, second edition, Saunders College Publishing, Fort Worth, Texas, 1998.
- Borkhodoev, V.Ya., “About the Limit of Detection in X-ray Fluorescence Analysis,” Journal of Analytical Chemistry, Vol. 69, No. 1, 2014, pp. 1041–1046.
- Guare, C.J., “Error, Precision, and Uncertainty,” Journal of Chemical Education, Vol. 68, No. 8, 1991, pp. 649–652.
- Guedens, W.J., J. Yperman, J. Mullens, L.C.Van Poucke, and E.J. Pauwels, “Statistical Analysis of Errors,” Journal of Chemical Education, Vol. 70, No. 9, 1993, p. 776.
- Jenkins, R., X-ray Fluorescence Spectrometry, second edition, John Wiley & Sons, New York, New York, 1999.
- OSHA, 29 CFR 1910.119, Process Safety Management of Highly Hazardous Chemicals, Occupational Safety and Health Administration, Washington, D.C., 1998.
- PHMSA, PHMSA-2009-0148, Pipeline Safety: Potential Low and Variable Yield and Tensile Strength and Chemical Composition Properties in High Strength Line Pipe, Department of Transportation Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration, Washington, D.C., 2009.
- PHMSA, Title 49, CFR 195: Transportation of Hazardous Liquids by Pipeline, Department of Transportation Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration, Washington, D.C., 2015.
- Skoog, D.A., D.M. West, and F.J. Holler, Fundamentals of Analytical Chemistry, seventh edition, Saunders College Publishing, Fort Worth, Texas, 1997.
- Skoog, D.A., F.J. Holler, and T.A. Nieman, Principles of Instrumental Analysis, fifth edition, Saunders College Publishing, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1998.
- Treptow, R.S., “Precision and Accuracy in Measurements,” Journal of Chemical Education, Vol. 75, No. 8, 1998, pp. 992–995.
155 Page Views
0 PDF Downloads
0 Facebook Shares